PROGENEX Omega is a powerful, readily available and absorbable Omega 3 supplement. Unlike other Omega 3 products, Omega uses a super-concentrated krill oil, rich in DHA & EPA, phospholipids, astaxanthin and choline.
Benefits of PROGENEX Omega
This unique product is specifically formulated for athletes, and has been designed to enhance athletic performance and speed recovery. Omega helps by:
- Reducing oxidative stress, and fighting total body inflammation, including reducing key inflammatory markers such as C-reactive protein (Deutsch, 2007)
- Lowering triglycerides and bad cholesterol (LDL), and boosting good cholesterol (HDL) (Bunea, 2004)
- Decreasing inflammation and muscle soreness, and helping to maintain muscle mass (Bunea, 2004; Deutsch, 2007; Kidd, 2007)
- Reducing joint pain and preventing injuries due to overuse (Fry, 2001), and Increasing overall energy (Koyama, 2006)
How Omega Works
The potency and power of Omega comes from super-concentrated krill oil. What is krill oil? Simply put, krill oil is a variation on classic fish oil supplements, but one that offers the recognized health benefits of fish oil, without the disadvantages. Krill oil benefits are superior to those of traditional fish oil, because the Omega 3s in krill oil are more-readily available and absorbable by your body. By comparison, the Omega 3 fatty acids found in fish oil are bonded with triglycerides, which are not water-soluble. This means that once you swallow your fish oil pill, the Omega 3s must pass through your small intestine to be emulsified before any cellular absorption can occur.
Krill oil, on the other hand, is better than the best fish oil supplement available, in part because it is water-dispersible. The Omega 3s found in krill oil are bonded with phospholipids (the same structure found in your cellular membranes). This structural similarity negates the need for digestion, and provides your body’s cells with an immediately-available and absorbable supply of DHA and EPA. Krill oil also eliminates any unpleasant after-taste, meaning that you can kiss those “nasty fish burps” good-bye forever!
While the many benefits of krill oil are too numerous to tout here, a few that have impressive implications for athletes include:
- Lowering “bad” cholesterol (LDL) by up to 55 percent (Bunea, 2004)…
- Reducing harmful triglycerides by up to 27 percent (Bunea, 2004)…
- Raising “good” cholesterol (HDL) by as much as 43.92 percent (Bunea, 2004)…
- Soothing pain and discomfort associated with stiff joints by up to 29 percent (Deutsch, 2007)…
- Boosting mental focus by as much as 49 percent (Kidd, 2007)…
- Decreasing inflammation by as much as 29 percent (Deutsch, 2007), (Kidd, 2007)…
- Increasing overall energy by over 50 percent (Koyama, 2006)…
Second, Omega harnesses the naturally occurring power of one of the most potent antioxidants and natural anti-inflammatory supplements on the planet—astaxanthin. From getting rid of lactic acid, to improving and shortening the recovery process, astaxanthin benefits include:
- Decreasing Elevated Lactic Acid Build-Up: A Japanese study indicated that athletes who daily consumed astaxanthin experienced up to a 29 percent decrease in lactic acid buildup (Sawaki, 2002). This is essential, because knowing how to get rid of lactic acid can help athletes increase their endurance.
- Increasing Strength: Another study, in Sweden, showed that a six-month regimen of astaxanthin aided in a 62 percent increase in the number of deep knee bends the test group was able to execute. During the same time, the placebo group increased only 22 percent. The astaxanthin group increased their strength, on average, three times faster than the placebo group (Malmsten, 1998).
- Reducing Joint Pain and Inflammation: Knowing how to decrease joint pain is really a matter of knowing how to reduce inflammation. Astaxanthin has shown tremendous promise in joint pain relief and inflammation reduction, in recent studies. In an eight-week study by the Health Research and Studies Center regarding a loss of grip strength due to tennis elbow, those taking astaxanthin showed a 93 percent increase in grip strength (Capelli, 2010)).
- Decreasing Pain: The Journal of the American College of Nutrition reported that rheumatoid arthritis sufferers showed a 35 percent improvement in their reported pain levels, and their ability to maintain their daily activities increased by 40 percent after only eight weeks of astaxanthin (Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 21(5):Oct, 2002).
- Boosting Recovery and Eliminating Soreness: The Human Performance Laboratories at the University of Memphis conducted a three-week study on healthy individuals who experienced knee joint pain after a strenuous weights workout. Predictably the group given a placebo experienced no relief from their knee pain symptoms. However, the group given astaxanthin indicated NO knee soreness post workout (Fry, A. (2001). “Astaxanthin Clinical Trial for Delayed Onset Muscular Soreness.” Human Performance Laboratories. The University of Memphis. Report 1, August 16, 2001.).
Additionally, astaxanthin helps reduce oxidation, and is one of the few antioxidants that can cross the blood-brain barrier—delivering antioxidant protection to the brain, eyes, and central nervous system.
Finally, the super-concentrated krill oil in Omega contains choline. Choline is an essential human nutrient - as it holds a wide range of roles in human metabolism. It is a vitamin-like nutrient crucial for normal cellular function. Many organs such as the brain, liver, kidney, pancreas and muscles all depend on adequate choline intake.